Subject: RE: [Leica] how can the 75 Lux focus go bad? NOW - DOF
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:16:21 -0600

Austin Franklin wrote:
>Martin, as both Jim and I have pointed out, the film size is completely
>irrelevant, and so is completely covering the film format.  It is not an
>assumption, it is a fact.  You are confusing optical DOF with printed DOF.

Austin,

Plane of focus is real.
DOF is not real.
The concept of DOF is based on an "acceptable circle of confusion" at
various distances from the plane of focus.
DOF is a generally agreed upon area around the plane of focus that
produces an acceptable result to human eyes. There is no absolute DOF, it
is an agreed upon value that most think gives a "good enough" result.

As lenses and film have improved the generally accepted DOF may not be
sufficient to describe the phenomena with great accuracy. But that's
another issue.

It may be that a definition or way of thinking that works for you is
different from what works for others. But when you choose to operate
outside of the accepted values you are on your own. Doing so and
expecting others to buy into your new version of DOF is extraordinary.

Read this:

http://Fox.nstn.ca:80/~hmmerk/DOFR.html

which in part states:
"The starting point of the existing theory was that there is
a limit on the resolving power of films and lenses. That limit was said
to yield a smallest spot having a diameter equal to
one-fifteen-hundredth of a normal lens's focal length. Thus the maximum
permissible "circle of confusion" is 1/30 mm in diameter
for a 35 mm camera with its 50 mm standard lens."

and lots more at:
http://Fox.nstn.ca:80/~hmmerk/HMbook14.html

Again, your ideas of "optical DOF" and "printed DOF" are your own.
They are not part of any accepted explanation of the phenomena of our
seeing something as in focus when it in fact is not.

I think you have re-invented the wheel.
And your wheel is not particularly round.

Henry Ambrose

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] 85 mm Russian lens question..)