Subject: Re: [Leica] how can the 75 Lux focus go bad?
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:33:49 -0600

Photographing a 3 dimensional object like human faces will change what is
acceptable DOF from what it would be if you were copying a 2 dimensional
object like a blueprint. (or a newspaper test target taped to the wall)

If you get the person's eye within 6 to 8mm of the  exact plane of focus
it'll make a cool looking portrait. If you photograph the blueprint and
have exactly the same focus error of say 6mm it will look like a blurry
mess. If you were not exactly square to the blueprint you might even have
some in some out on both sides of the plane of focus.

There is a LOT of the face that is not within the computed acceptable
distance range but if the right parts ARE you're OK - our eyes and brains
will accept that.

That's why your print of a human can look good and the same lens and same
error when applied to a flat object or small product photography will
look BAD!

The acceptable DOF can indeed be calculated but in the end its the
subject matter and the viewing of the picture that counts.

Henry Ambrose