Subject: [Leica] <<OT>><<exceedingly good 4/120 Makro-Planar!!!!!! <<OT>>
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:44:32 -0800

While I was a working commercial photographer, I had a 120/5.6 C lens that
I used for studio set-ups of small items. It worked, of course, perfectly.

We now have (my daughter and I) a 120/4 CFi lens. Jillian has been using it
in her school assignments (medium range to close-up and real close with a
55mm tube) and printing reasonably large (up to 16x16) prints and after
looking at the prints and looking at the transparencies with a 10x loupe, I
have to say that this lens is stunningly sharp. Some of her portfolio
prints are of the veins in leaves and they look like you can see the
protoplasm working (obviously not). But I have to admit, that it is
producing results that are better than what she used to produce with the
150mm lens. At these close ranges, of course.

My feeling is that the new 120/4 lens is, for a working photographer, every
bit as good as the 120/5.6 lens and will produce medium to close images
that stand alone. With an Accute Matt screen, the f/4 gives a really nice
bright image for critical focusing. If Erwin put a 120/5.6 and a 120/4 on a
optical bench, I'll bet dollars to a donut that the difference, if any,
would only be detected under laboratory/electronic lens testing. Detectable
only by a microscope and oscilloscope. And I wouldn't hazard a guess as to
which lens would come out a nanometer better. If either.

Anyway... the 120/4 Makro-Planar lens that we currently own and use
produces results that can only be labeled as stunningly perfect.

Do I know what sharp is?

I owned and used a 100/2.8 APO Macro Elmarit for many years. The benchmark
of sharpness. I own and use a 120mm Super Symmar HM LF lens which is
criminally sharp. I have 48x60 prints proving this. The 120/4 Hasselblad
lens is easily in this league when used in its intended range. Medium to
close-up.

The truth of the pudding is in the tasting. I've tasted and it is the truth.

Buy that lens Mark! You will not be sorry.

Jim

Message from Mark Cohen <markc@binaryfaith.com> (Re: [Leica] STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LEICAS)
Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR LEICAS)