Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering question
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:32:50 -0500

Marc James Small jotted down the following:

> Second, you are completely wrong on this topic, Mark.  The purpose of the
> Hove Compendia is to serve for the various camera systems as Wildi does for
> Hasselblad, a gathering of technical knowledge.  Eastland is a recognized
> pro of some abilities, but his knowledge of the equipment is not what it
> should be for an author of a major system camera book and what seems even
> worse is that he doesn't seem to care.

I would have thought that the only people who can accurately announce what
the intention behind and purpose of the Hove Compendia -- or any single book
in the series -- is, would be the publishers and authors themselves.

I think Eastland's "M compendium" is a great book, with useful information,
and good photography, mainly for the newbie user.  As a newbie user, you're
very glad that there are such books out there.  For the hardcore Leica
techno-porn, there's always Lager's triptych.

But yeah, the framelines-control-metering-angle is quite a blunder.
Surprising that neither no one discovered this one during the editing
process.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |             Vis tecum sit.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |

Replies: Reply from John Hudson <xyyc@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Metering question)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Metering question)