Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering question
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:49:10 EST

Dans un courrier daté du 04/02/01 16:11:06 Paris, Madrid,
mike_rivera@email.msn.com a écrit :

<< I have a questions regarding metering on an M6 (non-TTL).

 I was reading the "Leica Compendium" by Jonathan Eastland and I came across
 this:  "...the photographer can accurately measure very small areas of the
 object to be photographed using the preselector lever."  He goes on to
 state, "By flicking the preselector lever to bring up the 90mm bright-line
 frame, particular areas of the scene can be measured and interpolated.  Even
 smaller areas an be metered using the 135mm projected frame, in effect
 giving the photographer a selective metering facility."

 Am I to assume then if I have my 35mm lens on the camera and I want more of
 a "spot-meter" reading, I can simply flick the bright-line frame selector to
 the 90mm frame and the metered areas gets correspondingly smaller?

 How can this be?   I thought the metered area was determined by the lens
 attached, mechanically.  If the above is true, how would the camera know how
 much area to meter since the bright-line frames are shared by two focal
 lengths (the 90mm and the 28mm share the same bright-lines)?

 Confused in Sacramento and it's only 7am.

 Mike Rivera

Enormous mistake . The frame selector does nothing else than bringing
another set of frames in the VIEWFINDER .
The mesuring surface is a fixed area ( WHITE SPOT ) , whose value
NEVER vary .
Since you bring different frames corresponding to your lenses , you
have to " Guessimate " the area of the mesuring spot ( ABOUT THE
THIRD OF THE HEIGHT OF THE FRAME .
How can someone make such an error when studying a camera and
writing a book about it ?????
Chears

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE