Subject: Re: [Leica] Week 5 --- George
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:32:39 -0600

wharting@adelphia.net (Bill Harting)2/2/015:04 PM

> Wow. I'd love to hear some more details about how you did those
> barber-haircut shots with an 8x10. Can you make up a Leica-link
to keep this
> list-related?
>
> bill

Leica fiction:
All 8x10 concepts are rough comped for the client with Leica
Digilux Zoom.

8x10 facts:
I saw the idea in my mind as soon as I saw the black & white
color(less) scheme of the shop.

The first one I saw was the comb with the back light casting
shadows on a bald head, but near the hair line. And that shot
went fairly easy. The lens about an inch and half from the
subject. One focused spot light. Two sheets of film (always a
backup). And I had it and they loved it, "Let's do the other 3."
About 40 minutes in the studio, start to finish.

And then came the razor: Night mares begins. How do you get any
light in an inch and half of space (without fiber optics
available in the budget). Clamp the straight razor to a heavy
light stantd, focus, hope the model doesn't cut himself as I move
him towards the razor, Little tiny mirrors, little tiny
reflecting cards, apply shaving foam, check focus, close down
lens to f:16, close shutter, shaving foam turning hard, every
thing is moving, depth of field about 8mm, 4 sheets down and I
knew I had nothing. Cut hole in a white card, stick the lens
through it and try and bounce some light in. Open lens, check
focus, New foam, everything's moved and moving. 8 sheets and one
good one. Maybe two. About an hour to set up and an hour and a
half to shoot - up and down a step ladder constantly.

The shears were next: The week before this one was scheduled, I
walked into my local pro photo shop and saw in the used area an
old ring light that was used by a dentist. Aha, $40 and I had a
macro fill light. Add two spot lights and oh hell the Synch on
the ring light's a bit eratic and frustrating but - 3 sheets
exposed and one winner.

The clipper: weeks of night mares, trying to clamp the clipper,
the comb and still be able to turn the clipper on and off. An
hour and half, 8 sheets and they're all boring as hell.
Reschedule, new clamping arrangement, beefier supports, new
model, flash once off, turn on clipper another flash, do that on
5 more sheets and one useable. Another hour and a half.

In all four shots the models are lying, with their heads on firm
foam, and at variously ridiculous angles to the hardware and the
camera, complaining of cramps and freely letting me know that I
am quite out of my mind.

The biggest problem was maintaining 8mm of focus while closing
the diaphragm ring, which was now inside the ring light (had to
use the littleist pinky, cocking the shutter,inserting the
holder, pulling the slide, and not allowing the models to breath.

And then there's the handling of 30x40 paperŠ another story
And then there's the mountingŠ

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, :-)

George