Subject: Re: [Leica] I use UVa filters - when should is it critical to take them off
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:20:13 -0700

Generally right after you put it on! :-)

There are no easy answers to The UV filter question. I only use them where
the lens is in danger; blowing sand, track side at a car race.....mud
wrestling (!?). After twenty years of UV filter use, I never had to change a
filter, so I took them off. Did my pictures improve dramatically? No, but, I
did have fewer problems with flare. That is a significant point with a
rangefinder camera. I do use the supplied lens hood as a bumper and that
seems to be enough for me.

It all comes down to you. If you are not going to be comfortable using the
camera without a UV filter mounted, then put one on. I started that way but,
after listening to all of Ted's (http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant) and
Tina's (http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/) stories, I soon realised
it was very unlikely I would encounter anything like they had. If they are
not using them why am I?

As a counter point Greg Locke (http://www.straylight.ca/locke) is based on
the east coast of Canada and photographs a lot of offshore oilfield work and
photojournalism around the world. He encounters gale force winds and hangs
out in, and off of, boats and helicopters. He uses UV filters, takes
marvellous pictures and has replaced many damaged UV filters. Robert Appleby
also uses UV filters (http://www.robertappleby.com) and his pictures are
gorgeous.

Good luck and look at the archives
(http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/) for more......much much more!