Subject: [Leica] Re: Deionized Water My water supply information
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:31:09 -0600

Hi William,

I think I know why I don't have much trouble with water spots.
I called my supplier and the TDS is 130-150 mg/L. Which seems pretty low
compared to what you have in Toronto and especilly compared to Martin's.
They are mailing me a complete report since it contains too much info for
a phone conversation and I did not know what else to ask for specifically.

I always use distilled water to mix chemistry and rinse. But if I could
build a de-ionizer for not much money I'd do it for a long-term savings
in time, hassle and money of buying and hauling distilled water.

My darkroom is supplied with hot and cold water from the household
system. I do not use any special mixing panel, just a couple of faucets
and regulate the temperature with those controls. I do have easy access
to the supply lines under my sink and room for whatever equipment I need.
I wonder if I add the deionizer(s) can I use one on the hot water as
well? Or is it only for cold water?

It would certainly add ease of use if I could draw a large (2-5 US
Gallons)quantity of tempered water and then use that for a run of film. I
like the idea of using one batch of water for the entire operation all
the way through the final wash. Without monkeying with temperature
everytime I draw more water.

Henry Ambrose