Subject: Re: [Leica] OT -fear of change/ how to spell 'lens'
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:49:50 EST

Use of language is a constantly evolving form of communication between
humans. Imagery of all kinds including photography is constantly changing.
The world is constantly changing.
People who are afraid of change take comfort in the customs of the past to
ease their uncertainty about change and the future.

Concern over sloppy language use, is very similar to concern over modern
photographic techniques. Since we no longer have as many technical issues to
solve before we can make an exposure, the art and craft of photography is
somehow lessened, because it has become less "formal."

Do we indulge ourselves with outdated, hard to use Leica equipment, and miss
out on opportunities for more creative images, because we are afraid that if
it is easier, photography as an art and craft is somehow lessened in
importance?

Is use of Leica equipment a form of visual conceit, a belief that somehow the
equipment will provide a certain amount of legitimacy to images that are
otherwise useless?

Let's chew on this a while, rather than 50/1.4 minutiae, and whether we
majored in English in college. :-)

Scott Stewart

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] OT -fear of change/ how to spell 'lens')