Subject: Re: [Leica] Tips on using 24mm M lens
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:35:42 -0800

Martin wrote:
>> http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/photography_getty2.html
>> http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/photography_metro1.html
>
>With Getty2, my eye travels along the stone wall, from the pillar, past the
>human, and slams straight into whatever it is that is only just jutting into
>the frame at the extreme right.  A teeny amount of cropping would clean up
>the composition.

Absolutely right. When I reprint that neg, I'm going to remove that detail.
Oddly enough, I didn't really notice it when I first printed the shot.

>Metro1 is just superb!  I love how the angular symmetry is broken by the
>human figure.  Just gorgeous!  Should work beautifully as a large print.

Thanks! That image was taken in the (relatively) new Metro line #14 in
Paris. It is a bit of a novelty, for many reasons, the chief one being that
the subway trains are completely automated - there are no drivers. The
trains arrive in the station, stop for a predetermined amount of time, the
doors open and shut automatically, and the trains set off again, as if by
magic. Furthermore, each station is encased in a glass-like cylinder that
completely shields the trains, and the glass doors only open when the train
has come to a complete stop and has its doors open. The idea was to keep
people from being able to commit suicide by jumping onto the rails in front
of the on-coming trains.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Tips on using 24mm M lens)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Tips on using 24mm M lens)