Subject: [Leica] Re: Frank Cole
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:58:20 EST

Just returned from a trip out of town, and am responding to one of the
only messages that doesn't deal with footgear.  Glad to see that we are
branching out from the usual Mont Blanc, Porsche and single malt whisky
digressions into new forms of gear snobbery.

Anyway, to respond to Emmanuel, I knew Frank Cole quite well before his
untimely death at the hands of bandits in the Sahara.  The Sahara desert
was an obsession with Frank (he tried for the same effect in the
Eaganville sand dunes, but they just didn't do the trick for Frank).
Sadly, it was an obsession with unfortunate consequences.  As far as
photography goes, I never knew anyone with a better eye for an image as
Frank had.  His early work, particularly a short documentary on a family of
Ottawa Valley misfits, was delightful, perhaps as a result of the absence
of the heavy metaphysics of his later work.

Mark

> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:06:36 -0500
> From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
> Subject: [Leica] film suggestion
> Here's a new movie worth viewing by those who like great photography: "Life Without
> Death," an autobiographical documentary (!) by an Ottawa man named Frank Cole who was
> so obsessed with death he crossed the Sahara alone by camel, carrying three Bolex
> 16mm cameras (the Leica of cinema cameras?).
> The story is heavy, the character not for everyone. Magnificent cinematography
> though, much of it really reminds of great still photography.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca