Subject: Re: [Leica] What makes a good photo (was: Lee's week four)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:38:24 -0800

Julian wrote:

> OK Ted, I'm a fan and I'm nervous tangling with you BUT two points:
> 1: gut feeling is easily manipulated and if people didn't think about
> photography the newspapers would be full of shit lifestyle colour pictures
> taken on zoom lenses that meant bugger-all...<<<<<<<<<

G'day Julian,
Never fear tangling with me anytime, as underneath it all there beats the
heart of a pussy cat!  A tiger! ;-)

Well some newspapers look like they're full  >>> "of shit lifestyle colour
pictures
> taken on zoom lenses that meant bugger-all"<<<  all the time. But that may
not be the fault of the photographer, but quite probably the visual
illiterate editors who know no better.

laxative. ;-)

But what I'm talking about isn't easily manipulated, as it's your feeling
when you're looking through the viewfinder and everything in your body is
screaming "shoot it!"  Maybe it's motivation of the photographer through his
or her  talent, experience, instinct, whatever, but inevitably there is more
than "brain in action" doing a cold hearted analysis.  I'm not saying the
brain doesn't function during this feeling, sure it does, as it holds the
experience to motivate the eyes to understand this is a cool photographic
moment.

There are some folks, well we all start out taking pictures "by number,"
this isn't meant to be derogatory, if we didn't know about aperture
settings, shutter speeds and the other intricacies of photography we'd never
achieve "gut feeling!"  But there are some people who never get beyond the
number stage, where others not only learn the numbers but they have an inate
sense of feeling a moment and capturing it.

They see "the light" and know instictively what to do to make an exposure
because they "feel it!"

Unfortunatetly not everyone experiences this "gut feeling" simply because
it's human nature that some photographers have a natural instinct of what
works and what doesn't.  Much like the piano player who's never had a lesson
in her life and yet plays like an angel! It's a natural inner thing.

> ain't worth struggling with otherwise how could us lesser mortals
appreciate
> the stuff that you and TIna do?<<<<<<

Sorry if I've made it sound superficial and meaningless as that's not
intended at all. Far from it, as photography has been my life and quite
probably will be my death at some time, so be it.  Great life and I wouldn't
change it for a second!  We all work very hard at it, I know Tina and many
others, pro and amateur do because, it's a "calling" so's to speak.

For those who think it's a superficial thing, shame on them, as photography
is a blessing. We photographers, all of us, are the recorders of our times
for generations to come, much as the early shooters are the motivators and
teachers for us.

I'm not sure if this is addressing your thoughts and questions, hopefully it
is.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant