Subject: Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-(
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:58:03 -0800

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 8:13 AM

> And Ted Grant responded that as news assignments, funerals can be
> horrors...
>
> I want to agree with both, and suggest that the difference is whether
> you are a.) welcome at said funeral, and b.) intrusive...
>
> In deference to Ted, it is virtually impossible NOT to be intrusive at
> many funerals covered as news assignments. After all, those holding the
> funeral would rather you weren't there, so by definition you are
> intrusive, even if you are being your least intrusive.<<<<<<<<

BD,
This is so true even working long glass with  400 or 600 . You try not to be
there, but no matter what, "you are there!"  And depending on the
circumstances of the death and the grieving family, you are nearly always
spotted and run off.

Unfortunately I had a couple of sad and scary experiences many years ago and
I swore never to shoot another funeral that wasn't some big State thing
where they become a media event.

However, your point and Johnny's are well taken and I can understand being
there as a photojournalist at the request of the family. Yes I would do
that, the same as being asked to shoot the birth of a child.

ted

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-()
Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-()
Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] funerals ! :-()