Subject: [Leica] New type of batteries
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:33:15 +1100

I have been using a new type of rechargeable battery for about 3 month. The brand name
is: Grandcell.  These batteries are Alkaline and have a voltage of 1.5V, compared to
NiCads which have only 1,2 Volts. This is often not enough to fit in to equipment
designed for the use of normal batteries.

The manufacturer recommends a life time of about 25 to 30 recharges, but mine have had
already about 50 recharges, and they still work ok.  They are made at the moment, so it
seems only in AA and AAA sizes. The cost is about US$ 5.- for a packet of 4 AA's.
This is about double the price of standard alkalines. But the savings are quite big.
I am rally happy with them . I bought 2 sets of 4 and a charger and i reckon, I would
have saved about $125 US by now. With the added benefit of having the full 1,5v per
cell available.
This may sound like an ad, but I don't have any connection with the manufacturers or
agents.
I just thought to let you all know about it. I think it's a worth while product.

Regards, Horst Schmidt