Subject: Re: [Leica] funerals
From: MEBérubé <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:41:13 -0500

I remember reading in some book on the history of Photography that Post
Mortem Portraiture was very popular when photography was still very new.
(mid 1800s)

As I recall in the article claimed that for many folks who died when
Photography was still in its infancy the Post Mortem Portrait would be
their first, last and only photograph ever taken for the family to remember
the loved one with. As photography stuck around and the prices for such
dropped to affordable and then with the advent of the Kodak, such drastic
means of getting a portrait of grandma weren't needed and the idea died
out. (sorry) I suppose the upshot there is that with the 90 second exposure
time that those wet plate pioneers needed sometimes, someone as still as a
corpse would have been a pleasure to photograph!

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube