Subject: Re: [Leica] What makes a good photo (was: Lee's week four)
From: "julianthomas.terra.es" <julianthomas@terra.es>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:48:35 +0100

Hmmm, I've got the reply in my LUG box before the original. Anyway guessing
what is going on here...

Relating the elements of a photograph sufficiently for it to attract your
attention is an intellectual act. You can't avoid the intellect. The problem
lies for me in photography where the 'concept' is more important than the
photograph. As an eg I HATE Cindy Sherman's work - too much concept. There
has to be a balance - guess I'm with JD here.

> You mean primarily visual and not primarily intellectual? I agree. If not,
> don't. Visual and intellectual are different axes. I'd say a photograph
> should be primarily visual, period.

 > >  In other words, if a picture *only* makes
> > sense after giving it considerable thought about the possible
implications,
> > then in my mind, it's failed

Depends what you mean. The tests that you describe later rely on an amount
of working out of the picture. You see something intriguing and work with
it - everytime you look at it you see something new. Some of my friends
can't understand why I spend a fortune on photo monographs 'yeah, but how
many times can you look at a photo...'
.
Let me us a photo of mine as an example - it was what I was thinking about
last night. It is the photo titled 'Picasso' here
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293103905. As I explained last night it is
interesting for me because of the juxtaposition of 'power' symbols - I'm
using it as an example in an academic paper discussing this, in which
context it works fine- but it is a boring photo. My cogitating last night
was mainly trying to work out if a photo like that could work as a photo and
then on a different level for someone who knew the politics of Catalunya for
example.

Anyway, back to work.

Julian