Subject: [Leica] future of trees
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:46:02 -0500

I must jump in here in protest. Last week I spent a day snowshoeing up a mountain
north of Montreal, photographing (M6 + 28/2.8) an Abenaki Indian who builds full-size
birch bark canoes. Beautiful wood boats make me cry with joy and this man is one of
the very few keeping an ancient tradition alive.
He told me that suitably sized canoe birches are extremely rare today, most having
been cut down to make toothpicks, popsicle  sticks and tongue depressors. It takes
40+ years for them to grow back big enough.
I urge all good people to not take trees for granted. Seriously folks.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal