Subject: Re: [Leica] Y2 Filter
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:34:11 -0800

"A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote:

> Wilber Jeffcoat wrote:
>
> > I'm sure this has been done before, BUT! When shooting b/w how many are
> > using a medium yellow filter and what % of the time. Any comments that it is
> > not as needed with Ilford Delta films as with the T X 400 (or Kodak in
> > general)
> > Cheers Wilber
>
> Wilber, a medium yellow fixes itself automatically on any lens, when I am using
> black and white.
>
> Regards, Horst Schmidt

Don't your flesh tones come out less than great, Horst?
I find they kind of wash them out.
Like when you shoot with tungsten lights.
The hint of cyan in a yellow-green counteracts this is the way it works.
But you loose a full stop instead of a half stop.
There is also something about yellow filters stealing the light out of the shadows.
As shadows tend to be cool a yellow filter will steal the light out of them.
But that touch of cyan to make it go yellow-green counteracts that as well.
That's the whole spiel on yellow-green.
I've come clean on yellow-green.

Mark (What me yellow?) Rabiner
Portland, Oregon