Subject: Re: [Leica] RE : FOM2
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:44:07 +1100

>  > Bernard Degaute wrote:
>>>  I think the photographs submitted to FOM2 must
>>>be original ones, I mean never seen on a personal web site like PAW or
>>>something else. Otherwise where is anonymity (if this point is critical for
>>>the vote)?
>>
>>  True to some extent at least in theory. I would still think that FOM2
>>  organisers have been unrestrictive in the ownership of the images. In other
>>  words, you can post your image in other sites and still put them up at
>>  FOM2. With so many websites that one can potentially visit, the chances of
>>  putting a name to an image in the FOM2 is in practice quite remote.
>>
>>  Dan K.
>
>Dan,
>
>You are missing the point.
>
>I think that to be fair about influencing the final judging we would want to
>have our photos exclusive to FOM2. If I take a photo that is on my website
>then put it on FOM2, anybody visiting both sites is obviously going to make
>the connection to me, or anybody else doing the same thing. I know that I
>have dozens of photos that are worthy of being on my site, but which are
>not. So why not play by the rules and make it exclusive to the FOM2?
>
>Steve
>Annapolis

Steve,

the rules actually allow the photographer to use the image in any way
they like despite posting to fom. The reason for this, it that I
wanted some good images from the working guys, who need to use their
images to put bread on the table, so they can use fom and still sell
their images. Although it would be perfect if people would not post
submitted images elsewhere, when it comes to judging, I suspect there
will be too many images to remember exactly where they all come from,
so if people want to post then do so.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin