Subject: Re: [Leica] Kenya Photos
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:39:41 -0500

Hi, Robert -

Yes, I've seen the backside (and I do mean backside!)  For those who
haven't, imagine a giant water tower shaped like a peach and painted
peach-color.  From the backside, it closely resembles a backside!

Thanks for your comments, Robert.  For my background in photography
see:  http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/statement.htm

About Heifer Project International - It is one of the most successful
self-development programs I've seen all over the world.  HPI donates
animals to families who have undergone a year of training and
preparation.  The families promise to pass on the first offspring of the
animal to another family in their community.  I've visited communities in
Honduras who started with one goat for one family (the animals are always
pregnant when they are presented to the family).  Ten years later, everyone
in the community has a goat and children who had never before tasted milk
are much healthier.  HPI also teaches organic farming techniques and
natural fertilizers.  The goats in the photos from Kenya were flown to
Kenya from Ireland!  Several have already had their kids and seem to be
very healthy.  In most cases, the housing for the goats was much better
than the housing for the families!  Local vets volunteer their time to
HPI.  I have been photographing Heifer Projects for about 12 years.  You
can find out more about HPI here:  http://www.heifer.org/

Leically,

Tina

At 07:44 PM 1/20/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Tina,
>I really appreciate your talent and your willingness and desire to become
>close to a community no matter where you go in the world.  I admire your
>ability to create magnificient photos in some of the most interesting settings
>I've seen from a primary source such as yourself.  Since I'm mostly a lurker
>on the LUG list and am always interested in learning more, could you tell us
>(me!) a little about your background in photography and the heifer project in
>general.  I see you're near Rock Hill...ever see the Gaffney peach from the
>backside?
>
>Robert Clark
>Lancaster, PA

Tina Manley, ASMP