Subject: Re: [Leica] 0.58 vs 0.72 Mag Finder
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:07:36 -0600

Johnny

>>The 35 and the 28 are for me radically different lenses. <<

I believe that, too. The 50 and 35 also provide very different perspectives.

Take the subject of people. The difference between 50/35/28 is the
difference between a head and shoulders portrait, a three-quarters view, and
a full-length-plus shot. The perspective and background control is different
with all three. Moving in or out is not an equalizer.

Lots of times I rationalize away the need for a different focal length. But
I switch between 35 and 28 all the time. Again, it's not the same as taking
a step in or back.

Everyone has different tastes. I can see why the Tri-Elmar is appealing to
some. Nearly all my M shots are made with a 28, 35 or 50. But I don't
suppose we'll see a Tri-Summilux any time soon. That I'd buy, if it were
small and I could afford it.

Dave