Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 or Autofocus? AF for sure
From: "Logan Reinwood" <reinwood007@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:51:53 -0000

Hi Rick,

I own 2 Ms and an EOS with 300 2.8 (for sport and wildlife) + 1 zoom that I
use mainly with the flash. There are many reasons why I am convinced AF is
much better for Sport:

1) With a Tele you "cannot" use hyperfocal and zone focussing
2) in fast moving actions and the probability to miss outstanding shots is
high without AF (prefocussing cannot solve that) This is not the case in a
ski race where you will take pictures at the same place for all racers
3) New high-end tele included very nice features:
- - Image stabilization
- - AF preset button allowing to go back to a previous stored distance (used
for instance in basketball with a preset on the basket, so you can follow
the game shoot in the mild-field and then press the button to have the focus
immediately on the basket to shoot the winning point)
- - etc.
4) the flash system is much better(if you need a flash)

Note: 1-2-3 apply only with tele >200mm

MF Training can help but not replace AF of high-end (EOS 1V, Nikon F5, ...)
bodies with USM L, AF-S lenses.

The only reason I would use a Manual SLR instead of a AF would be for the
quality of glass lens and for specific pictures (e.g., astronomical pictures
with long exposure time, macro work, etc.)

Hope it helps

Logan