Subject: Re: [Leica] 75/1.4 v. 90/2.0
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 06:09:45 +0000

george day wrote:
snip
>Now, why go for the 2.0 or 1.4?  Because I like wide-open portraits.  My
>Zeiss 85/1.4 excels at this usage and, if I buy a longer Leica lens, it will
>be to replicate that use. So, for me, the extra stop (or two) is worth the
>extra weight and dough.
>
>Any thoughts, comments?  Any perceived weaknesses or strengths of either
>lens?

Both are superb optics. In practice the focal lengths are quite close to
each other. Yet f1.4 is 1.4 and f2.0 is 2.0, and when you need that extra
stop, you'd thank having the f1.4 in hand. Both are bokeh loaded optics and
your portraits will sing when your focus is spot on, I repeat....when spot on!
I am not really bothered by their weights but the 75 is a heavy piece of
(expensive) artillery which can do wonders to your neck muscles if you are
to lug one around the whole day.

Dan K.

          To handle a hard situation, try a soft answer.