Subject: Re: [Leica] Haiti
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:10:26 -0330

Hi Henry,

DO IT!!!

Haiti is an AMAZING place and the people are WONDERFUL.

My only caveat is that when in Port au Prince and the Cite Soliel slum
area, as in ANY city (if you go to these areas) you must be wary of
thieves.

(if you do go to Cite Soliel, go down and visit the fishermen at the
community wharf... GREAT PICTURES in the morning.)

The most common type are "snatch & grab" types so just keep aware of your
surroundings and who is around you... don't leave things dangling over
your shoulder.

The most common thing I saw there were thieves at intersections and in
traffic jams grabbing into the open windows of cars... even snatching
watches off the wrists of those foolish enough to have their arms out the
window..... SOOOOOO.... the lesson is, when in a car in the city, KEEP the
windows rolled up.   .... and take a cheap watch.

In the markets you'll see guys going around with dozens of watchs on
poles. A friend working with the UN managing to buy back his watch a few
days after it was stolen.

I spent a month there walking around with my gear in the worst areas and
didn't have any problems.

The sun and heat was brutal on the "northern hemisphere" guy.  I was
drinking 3-5 litres of water a day.

Get out to the countryside if at all possible.

...and did I mention the tarantulas?
The red ones can kill you but the brown ones just hurt.....
Of course, the difference between brown and red is a matter of opinion so
just stay away from the all.  They like the mango trees.

HAVE FUN, DARN IT!!!

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://www.straylight.ca/locke
PictureDesk International ...news pictures ONLINE
http://www.picturedesk.org

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Haiti)
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Haiti)