Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:32:44 -0600

Hi Tina,

Welcome back!

I'm not saying GF is bad.
What I am saying is that it may or may not be around in a couple of
years. Like lots of other software. Its just the nature of the business.
When there is no commercial motive (profit), products get ignored, not
updated to run on the latest operating system and then dumped.

Its not a new piece of software. Its been around. It was released
originally by a different company than Altamira. They went bust and GF
pretty much languished, showing up occaisionally as free bundle software.
It still is something that is part of free bundles.  I doubt that it
could continue to exist without going this route. I suspect that they
would never sell enough copies to remain viable.

If Adobe incorportated the GF format into Photoshop so that it was
readily used and more likely to be supported in the future that would be
more of an argument in GFs favor. I'd say there's a good chance Photoshop
will be here for a while.

5 or 6 years from now GF may or may not be here. Yes it will continue to
work on the computer and system you have now, but will you still own that
computer? Will you still be using the same operating system? Probably not.

We can't be sure of anything but the surest route to take on archiving
digitally is to stick to the most standard format (s). They are the most
likely to be here in the years to come.

CDRs are so cheap it does not make sense to me to worry with the time and
trouble of saving disk space by resorting to special compression software.

I still think its a bad idea to use non-standard formats for archiving
your digitized photographs.

Archive the big original source scan.
Then when its time to send it out or use it re-save to the size and
format needed.

Best to All,

Henry