Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:11:32 -0600

>Dave, I use something called Genuine Fractals. It is a Photoshop plug-in
>that allows you to store images in a compressed form, open them at any size
>without the loss of quality that comes with upscaling in photoshop. You need
>about a 20 meg file for it to work at its best which then compresses to
>10-15megs. Once opened you can convert the file into any format you want via
>photoshop 'save as' command. Tina manley put me on to it (thanks Tina). I
>also use Vuescan which stops me using crazy resolutions. I normally scan in
>Vuescan using 16bit grayscale, to about 11x16 inches with a res of about
>340/360. When I've adjusted levels/curves in PS I then convert to 8bit
>grayscale which leaves a file of about 20meg for GF to compress. There is a
>demo at www.genuinefractals.com
>
>Julian

With due respect:

Long term, I think this is a bad idea.

What if the publisher of Genuine Fractals goes out of business?
Their little corner of the market is small compared to TIFF which is
standard.
Or they fail to support new operating systems?
Sometimes I feel a little out on a limb with .psd (Photoshop native)
Go with the most standard format you can.

Space is not the problem it has been and the situation will only get
better.

Henry

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats)
Reply from "julianthomas.terra.es" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats)