Subject: Re: [Leica] backup choices
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:56:56 EST

 I use two M-bodies most of the time, so in case of breakdown I can switch
lenses and continue. At the moment I have the 21/2,8 Asph with goggles
mounted on my 0,58 M6 and the 0,85 LHSA body has a 50/1,4 chrome (very early
model, 164xx xxx). Because of Winder-testing I usually have 4-5 cameras on
the go at all the time. Mostly M6's but also M2's. When I travel I try to
keep the equipment down to 3 bodies and 4 lenses. Usually 12 or 15mm
Voigtlander, 21,35,50 and possibly a 90 or 75 stashed in the non-camera bag.
Occasionally I go "retro" and take 2 M2's with the 35/50/90 combination and
every time I am pleasantly surprised how simple and convenient that package
is. No batteries to fuss over, no diodes blinking and if I would get the urge
to use a filter, one size fits all (the 90 is usually a 90/2,8 Elmarit). If
we both are going, Tuulikki uses a M4-P with the Pancake 35/2,5 Voigtlander
and can of course borrow anything longer or wider from me. Ultimately I would
like to pare it down to one M with a 35/2. Possibly a M6 0,58 (greatest 35
finder since the M2!) or just an old M2. Maybe with a 90/4 collapsible as a
back-up lens.
Tom A

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> ([Leica] Winder and grip)