Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:53:27 -0800

> The most archival media out there is probably still--film! But if I had a
> bunch of digital images to store, I'd either keep 'em on PhotoCD or put
> them on a high-quality CD-R in plain-vanilla ISO 9660 format in some
> widely-used, non-proprietary and non-compressed format--TIFF perhaps? Also
> consider archiving software which can read it.

Well your film is, of course, your master image and so retaining it would
seem to be your first line of defense.

On the digital side just know for sure that any format is vulnerable over a
period of years. Donšt' use proprietary formats for storing images. The more
open the file spec, the better. TIFF sounds good to me.

Ten years from now we'll be chuckling at CD-R. Soooooo limiting. DVD-R is
beginning to arrive now. We'll be over 5 G and under $1k by the end of the
year, under $500 in 2002 if not before. Then double layer...and then who
knows? There's no end to the growth curve in sight. I'd expect 100 G
personal storage in 10 years as a consumer product: ie throw-away.

We're not going to run out of CPU cycles either. But the software which
compressed images might forget how to read old stuff. Just look at people
who need to go back and read PageMaker 1 files -- now THAT is a hassle!

Adam Bridge