Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:26:25 +0100

On 14 Jan 01, at 7:00, Doug Herr wrote:

> I know of a father/son team of landscape photographers (using medium
> and large format) who have 350 GB of RAID storage, and they get rid of
> the original transparencies once scanned.  This is foolish IMHO.

I certainly trust film more than RAID or other digital storage, but
then color dyes fade as well. Best keep both. I've got the film in
binders and the scanned images on CD. Who knows when you
might be able to get a better scan, or a more pleasing scan, from
that film. What I can get next year is likely to be an improvement
over what I get this.

Nothing yet has convinced me that digital capture is better. When I
can put 130MB images x 10 x 36 in my jacket pockets without a
need for batteries I might be.