Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:52:01 -0800

> For the members who are heavily into digital, how do you manage your media?
> Does anyone still use magneto-optical media these days? Is that still the
> most archival removable media? I think current CD-RW media doesn't provide
> much more than a few years of safety for your digital images. I'm excited
> about the digital revolution, but have to admit that I'm happy not to have
> to worry too much about magnetic rays affecting my old K64 slides!

CD-R, if you get the right dye material (the gold) will last a lot longer
than CD-RW since it doesn't have to be erased.

Always use the disks with the gold-colored back, not the blue-green
cheapies.

DVD-R will be even better, on the order of 100 years.

I archive all my digital files, graphics, production archives, to CD-R.

Adam