Subject: Re: [Leica] Bellows-R problem
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2001 05:10:22 -0800

On Mon, 08 January 2001, Steve Huntley wrote:

>     I recently acquired an old Bellows-R (the instruction book shows a
> Leicaflex) for use with my R4. It came in the original box and is in
> beautiful shape. I first tried my 50 mm Summicron-R; everything went fine
> though the 50mm fit in the bellows was obviously snug. But when I tried my
> 90mm Summicron-R, it would not attach to the bellows. Both lenses fit the R4
> fine. Any ideas on what the problem is and how I should correct it? Many
> thanks.
>     Steve

Steve, what's the problem?  Is it too tight to twist on to the bellows, or does the 90 not seat in the mount properly?  The first problem is solved with a trace of petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) on the lens mount and the latter may be cause by using an R-only lens on a Leicaflex lens mount.  If your 90 is an R-only lens (which seems odd to me) the lens' bayonet has an extra ridge on it that prevents the lens from fitting on a Leicaflex.  The bellows lens mount can be machined by Leica to fit R-only lenses.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!