Subject: [Leica] Re: No Need to Trim
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 01:52:09 -0800

> If you remove the baseplate of your camera and look at the loading diagram,
> you will see the diagram shows the long leader.
>
> Trim it! The number one killer of LTM cameras is loose bits of film.
>
> John Collier

There is no doubt that film chips will kill your camera -- it's like feeding
chicken bones to a dog.  *However*, I have it from a guy who may well know
more about the insides of these cameras than any man alive (note I said
"man"), that untrimmed film is just fine if you load it properly.  In fact,
he suggested this over cutting the leader.  (The man in question is DAG;
dunno if Sherry would support this.)

A)  remove the lens and base plate

B)  turn the shutter to "T" and press the release.  (This locks the shutter
open.)

C)  attach the untrimmed film to the spool, and insert both, carefully,
guiding the film as it moves across the shutter window so that it doesn't
catch on the upper edge of the window.  DO NOT FORCE IT.  You will feel it
when it is in the right place.

D)  replace lens and base plate, then turn the shutter dial to release the
lock.

Done.

Never had a problem.  And it's much less of a pain than trimming that
leader.  (In fact, when you trim the film, you often cut through a sprocket
hole, which leaves a tab that looks to me as if it's a prime candidate for
chipping off.)

cheers,

Douglas Cooper
www.dysmedia.com