Subject: [Leica] Re: The Guys Who Make Contax
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 19:45:48 -0800

Contax is now made by Kyocera (who also make Yashica).  "Kyocera" stands for
"Kyoto Ceramics" -- they're a prominent manufacturer of ceramics (in a city
which has been famous for a thousand years for the quality of its
earthenware).  I did a shoot last year for Travel&Leisure in Kyoto, and
purchased a full Aria setup there, which I've subsequently sold.  It wasn't
any cheaper in Japan than here, and I had numerous complaints, not the least
of which is that I found the lenses harsh.  I had the famed 50/1.4, and yes
it's frighteningly sharp, but I much prefer the image thrown by my Canon LTM
50/1.4, which is  probably a touch less sharp (although I haven't seen it).
The transition with the Canon from blur to focus is such to *suggest*
greater sharpness.

Funny, I've been thinking about getting another SLR system.  I adore my
Leica rangefinders, but find them impractical  for portraiture.  These days
I use an  Olympus OM-1 with the first version of the Tamron SP 90 (a
phenomenal lens, if you've never used one); but I think I want to get into
old Canon manual focus stuff.  Dunno why; I just like the feel of the bodies
and lenses, and I've had good luck with Canon optics, which seem to favor
the look I prefer.

If anyone wants to trade something for an OM-1 (considered the poor man's
Leica), I'd be interested.

I don't want to get into Leica SLR; too expensive, and I don't use SLRs
often enough to justify it.  (Also, I've never really been thrilled by the
bodies; that said, I've only fondled them in shops.)

Douglas Cooper
www.dysmedia.com