Subject: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systmes
From: "Steven A. Melnyk" <melnyk@msu.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 22:03:41 -0500

Before I post my question, let me state that I am a newbie when it comes to
Leica.  I just bought my first Leica (an M6 TTL in black with .85X with
Summicron 50/2 and 90/2.8 (both lens used, camera new)) last month.  My
current systems are Nikon (F2A, F5) and Contax (AX, RX).  In looking over
the Leica systems, I had a chance to handle a Leica R8.  It was a very
interesting camera.  While large, it did fit my hands well (just like the
Contax AX).  I have reviewed the archives.  Now, my question (and I hope
that I don't offend anyone with it) -- what are the pros and cons of the
Leica system compared to the Contax SLR system?  Lens seem to be equivalent.
Yet, prices for the Contax are much less.  What does one get with going to a
Leica R8 as compared to a Contax AX or RX?  More for my own information?

Thanks in advance for any insights and observations that you might have.

Steven A. Melnyk
Michigan State University
Department of Marketing & Supply Chain Management
melnyk@msu.edu