Subject: [Leica] titanium
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:36:40 -0800

KE7GMx@cs.com wrote:

> Hello Group: I have recently begun collecting some of the Leica M-6 (T) and
> (T) lenses. I think they are beautiful and believe Dr. Yao when he says that
> they are a superior group of products because of the use of titanium
> materials in the manufacture of them. I have gone back in the archives and a
> recurring comment is that the "titanium" is only a finish and does not
> indicate that the manufacture of the product is from titanium metal in place
> of zinc, aluminum, brass, stainless steel or whatever. In the case of the (T)
> lenses, I can believe this because the lenses are heavier than the black and
> about equal to the silver (chrome) products. Titanium appears to be about the
> same weight as stainless steel and almost twice as heavy as aluminum -
> exactly twice the eight of magnesium. It is quite a bit lighter than brass. I
> has remarkable strength and exceptional resistance to corrosion and
> oxidation. I have not been able find out whether it exists as a reasonable
> finish for other metals such as chromium, zinc, copper, gold, silver, etc. I
> have a pivot in my knee (a rebuild job) and staples in my colon that are made
> of 'pure' titanium because that metal does not react to base, acids, time or,
> I guess, anything else? Can anyone answer the question as to whether the (T)
> cameras are actually produced from the solid metal Ti  or are only finished
> with the material? Over the years, it would appear (from the length of the
> archives) that the subject is a popular one! Any new light to be shed on the
> subject by the LUG experts? Regards, Bill

I believe it has been established that Leica is not using titanium as a material
to build their cameras or lenses but as you say, just as a finish, or as i say:
as paint, an unfair thing to say. But it expresses my disappointment.
We assume in a positive way that Leica has good reasons for not using titanium
as Nikon and Olympus has with their "titanium" cameras. Hunks of it.
Nothing light about an M6! And silver and titanium lenses with brass barrels
don't help the issue.
Yes they are compact. No they are not light.
It's a shame I've always felt that we don't have a lighter weight titanium
option. I love the stuff. To me it's the future!
Titanium painted brass would be a big disappointment to the no doubt many who
are not expecting that to be the case.
Buyer beware as usual... to those who don't check carefully the specs and just
make assumptions.
I personlly don't spend that kind of money without doing so.
Those silver and titanium lenes feel like they've been scooped out of a black hole!
mark :) rabiner

updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)