Subject: Re: [Leica] Monoliths I have known or... Is that all there is?
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 14:56:32 -0800

> Tell me what the next big bang is if anyone knows or if they are out
> there.

"Looking for the next big bang" is my profession (I'm in communications
research) so I wish I had a simple packaged answer for you.

My opinion is that the next big bang will result from solving the "last
mile" problem. By the year 2010 about 20% of the households in North
America will have 1 Gigabit optical communication links that connect
not to "the phone company" or "the cable company" but to metropolitan
switchpoints. This will enable low-cost or free gigabit communication
within a physical community, and will enable significant new
communication setups.

Imagine, for example, that I'm having trouble managing a photograph
that I have on my computer. I know I need to dodge the shadows and
lessen the contrast there and there, but I keep messing it up. Somehow
I manage to get Tina Manley to agree to help me, and she locks her
computer to mine, edits my image while I watch, and then unlocks.

Reliable always-on non-monopoly communication infrastructure is going
to change the world a lot. I believe it will end up being installed by
power and water utilities and not by phone or cable companies.

For some random references, try these:

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2000/06/26/daily10.html
http://www.ispworld.com/bs/BS_102000b.htm
http://www.robotics-cabling.de/ (in English and German; click on