Subject: [Leica] Re: BALUGgers at the San Mateo Photo Fair
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 10:37:37 -0800

> From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
> Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 23:46:22 -0800
> To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
> Subject: Re:  BALUGgers at the San Mateo Photo Fair
>
> Hello John:
>
> I will be there and will have a table for some of my surplus items.   I will
> reserve one on Tuesday.
>
> Are other BALUGers reserving tables?
>
> What are the plans for the day?
>
> Roland Smith
> roland@dnai.com

Happy New Years Roland!

Thanks for letting me know about your plans. So far, no other LUGger has
indicated that he/she is reserving a table. If you will, please let the
organizer know if you want your table next to mine. I don't think it will be
a problem.  We're planning to gather after the fair, and then for dinner.
Let me know if you can attend the dinner, I will make reservations soon.

Here's my separate email:

Greetings to All of You,

I hope all of you are having a great holiday season. It's also time to plan
for the first photo swap meet of the year. As Peter Choy and I had talked
about a few months back, we'd like to meet up with some of you in San Mateo
on January 6, 2001.

The official website for the organization is:  www.photofair.com  . You'll
find the registration information, as well as address and directions to the
San Mateo County Fairgrounds. Those of you who are coming in as buyers (or
to meet us) will pay approx. $5 parking and $8 entry fee.

I've done a simple step in reserving a table under my name as a center
point. I'll try to make it identifiable with handmade red "BALUG" letters in
red. You can use this table to sell your own wares, as I will have minimal
equipment for sale. Keep in mind, however, that the rules state that you
must have a state resellers license to sell there. However, I have never
been checked at the table. I'm also looking for a modest $10 contribution
from anyone who plans to sell at this table, as it cost $80 to reserve it.

- ------------------------

What I'd like to do is find out if any of you have already reserved your own
spaces, and if you wouldn't mind if we tried to set up a bloc of adjacent
tables. So, let me know and I'll contact the photo fair organizers this
week.

- ------------------------

Another set of possibilities is to meet afterwards for food/drink. One
suggestion is to gather at the Prince of Wales, a "down to earth" watering
hole which is conveniently located on 25th Ave., a block from the
fairgrounds' parking lot exit.  We could plan to congregate there between
4:30 and 6:00. I don't think we'll need reservations there, it's a very
informal place.

Afterwards, we could meet for dinner. I'm looking for suggestions of places
in the general area. If you have a favorite spot which could hold a small
crowd, let me know.  My initial thoughts are Amici's Pizza or North Beach
Pizza on 3rd Ave., about 2 miles away. If you can think of other
cuisines/venues, please let us know! I'm a recent transplant to the
peninsula, so I need help from those of you whom are more familiar with the
area.

If you're coming for dinner, I'll need a headcount by this Wednesday,
January 3, in order to make a restaurant reservation, so please reply as
soon as you can.

Best Regards and Happy New Year,

John Gong

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: BALUGgers at the San Mateo Photo Fair)