Subject: [Leica] Bay Area Dealers and Prices
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:48:06 EST

<<< >Do all dealers charge the same prices? It seems to be the case for the
few

>I've called.

In my experience, this seems to be true. I heard that Leica controls final

sale prices pretty strictly (i.e. if you don't sell at their suggested

price, you don't represent them any more).

This isn't true...in fact it would be price fixing if it were (and that is
illegal.)

The way Leica keeps the prices all pretty tight is that they don't leave much
profit to be had in most gear! The dealer net is usually 5-8% lower than the
MAP (minimum advertised price.) If you stock a lot of gear, as I have now
started to do recently, you begin to realize it is just not worth it to sell
it below MAP.

That being said, sometimes Leica does offer special deals to dealers...so it
can be possible to get SOME items at less than MAP...but there are others
that will be tough to find discounted at all. Generally those are the only
new items I bother to list here as I know that everyone on this forum are
aware of MAP price. Of course there is always salesman's samples, code u, and
grey market gear around...but this is non-passport and/or used so really it
can't be compared.

>>~ANY~ dealer?  are you saying that when a dealer, anywhere in the USA is

having Leica days that, if my local dealer wants, they can give 10% off?<<

This is not true either. Leica only gives a Leica dealer one "Leica day" each
year and will not eat the 10% on any other day. If the dealer wishes to
forfit 10% on gear that is another story...he could do so even at a loss.
Leica won't pay for it though. If Leica did that they would never sell an
item at full price!<g>

Happy new year!
Rich