Subject: Re: [Leica] Bay Area Dealers and Prices
From: "Apostolos Mamatas" <a_mamatas@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:17:27 -0500

>Do all dealers charge the same prices? It seems to be the case for the few
>I've called.

In my experience, this seems to be true. I heard that Leica controls final
sale prices pretty strictly (i.e. if you don't sell at their suggested
price, you don't represent them any more).

>Since cost is somewhat of a consideration, would I be better off ordering
>mail order instead? If so, any suggestions? How important is a good local
>dealer vs. lower prices?

The only difference I have found pricewise between local and mail order is
obviously sales tax. I purchased my M6 TTL a few months back from Tamarkin
in NY through the mail. I will say that the service was good and prompt. One
thing though, beware of Cambridge and AAA, since the "lower" prices they
actually quote are for demo equipment. They're a little sneaky, and I've
heard some not-so-good stories concerning them. If saving on the sales tax
is important, I would recomend Tamarkin. If not, go local.