Subject: Re: [Leica] Converting a 35mm Summaron w/ eyes ?
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:46:16 EST

Hi William, I just saw your post and a few responses that did not answer your
question. The simple answer is yes, the lens can be modified to bring up the
35mm frame lines by grinding the lens mount to match the frame line cutout of
a normal 35mm Summicron. The eyes can be removed in one of two ways depending
on which version you have. On the first version the eyes come off simply by
setting the lens to infinity and loosening the set screw on top, then slide
the eyes off toward the front of the lens. On the second version I believe
the eyes are held on by screws that must be removed in order to remove the
eyes.

BUT, with the eyes off, the lens will NOT focus accurately using the camera
rangefinder because the focusing cam on the lens is ground to provide proper
focus only with the eyes on. The focusing cam can be reground to allow
focusing without the eyes by a good leica technician, but then the lens would
not be usable "with" the eyes. For a time I had a M6 and a Summaron without
eyes, and contemplated having these modifications done. My local Leica
repairman said he would do the modifications but it would cost around
$100-$150 because regrinding the focus cam is a very slow, time consuming
process. I used the lens for a while just by scale focusing using the
distance markings on the lens. It actually worked quite well because with a
35mm, and a f 3.5 max aperture the focus accuracy at guesstimated distances
was good enough. I decided not to have the modifications done because it
could not be reversed to make the lens usable if I later found some eyes to
go with it.
I am happy with that decision because now I have a M3 and did find some eyes
for the lens.

Regards, Paul Connet

<< LUG'ers

 I know this probably has come up before, but can a 35mm Summaron for the M3
 be "de-eyed" and converted to be mounted and bring up the 35mm frame on a
 M2, M4, etc ?

 Is it a simple procedure for a good Leica repair shop ? I've been offered
 one relatively cheaply, so if the cost of the conversion would be less than
 200 dollars, it still would be a bargin.

 Thanks

 William >>