Subject: [Leica] Re: Bokeh a Leica advantage?
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 12:37:18 -0500

Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com> wrote (edited):

> I don't know if there's really (or practically) any such
> thing as good bokeh, but there sure are examples of
> _bad_ bokeh.  And it can be as much as a distraction
> from the foreground image as flare. Think of all those
> donuts you can get in the out of focus areas sometimes
> when shooting with a mirror lens, for example.
>
> If you _notice_ the bokeh, you've got a distraction from
> the foreground. That's the litmus test for a lens'
> bokability, is it not?

Right-o, except when you're emphasizing the out-of-focus areas of an image
for a particular effect. Then you want those areas to look...the way you
want them to look. :-) Whether smooth or harsh (smooth may not be
necessarily better) there are lenses that'll give you the effect you want.
If playing with blur floats your boat why not have as much fun with it as
you can? If it isn't your thing then there's no need to be concerned about
it provided it's not distracting.

- -Dave-