Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm lens Q's.
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:37:43 -0400

Randy Holst wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>   I'm rather
> partial to a version which has the built-in lens hood.  Can anyone make
> some recommendations as to which performs best or which to stay away
> from?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy Holst
> Boise, Idaho
I own and use a Tele-Elmarit and I like it fine.  It is the second version as
oppased to the fat Tele-Elmarit.  The hands down best performer is the new
Aspherical 90mm f2 Summicron which only coasts an arm an a leg.  If you are
serious about 90mm and will use it a lot then this would be my choice.
If you are like me and have the ninty for just those times when nothing else
will do and don't use it as a primary, lens then I think the Tele-Elmarit is a
fine lens, though a touch flare pron.  It has the advantage of also being
quite small and will not take up much space in your kit. They can be had for a
lot less then either of the lenses now in production but exercise care in
picking one out.  Use a flashlight through the lens to check for fungus and
fog.  The Tele-Elmarit skinny version seemed to be more prone to fungus than
other Leitz lenses of the same vintage.  Haze can usually be cleaned up but
fungus is another story.  But a nice clear Tele-Elmarit is a fine performing
lens and will produce credible resaults. The collapsable rubber hood which
came with most of them is, however, a disaster. THe lens cap wont stay on too
well and doess not shade the lens as well as the metel lens shade, and this
lens really needs a good shade.
Also if your on a very tight budget the 90 f4 Elmar is an good performer as
well and quite affordable.
John

Replies: Reply from "David Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm lens Q's... (vs. Hexar ??))