Subject: Re: [Leica] Third-party payment/E-bay
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:14:11 -0600

Be aware of the fine print with PayPal (the service I've used for a while.)
They have a limit on how much they will pay out in any given transaction unless
you give them authority to debit your checking account directly, I believe they
have a limit on how much they will pay out in a certain period (6 months, I
believe it is, but I don't remember the amount,) and there is a limit on how
much you can receive ($600 in a 6 month period - one Leica lens or body can
easily exceed this.)  If you approach the receiving limit they invite you to
become one of their "preferred" customers where they charge you a 1.9% fee on
each transaction.

PayPal is a very convenient service to begin with, but I've about decided it's
just a slick way to sucker you into a "merchant account" arrangement like I get
5 SPAMs about a day.  I didn't pay much attention to the details when I signed
up (put too much stock in the "always free" slogan they were tossing around,)
and figured they made up their costs by the delay they imposed on getting cash
out of your account after someone had sent it to you.  But I recently got the
notice I need to start paying fees, so I'm looking at either finding another
service (they may all have the same fees) or going back to money orders.  OTOH,
if you only use it occasionally for small transactions, it can be quite
convenient.  There have been a few times when a seller paid me by PayPal and
his package was in the mail before the Ebay notice of auction close arrived.

Cheers,
Kip