Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners
From: "Gary Klein" <leicaman_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:50:36 -0600

I have had extensive experience with both the operation and the repair of
Nikon Scanners.  The scanners I am speaking of are the LS1000, LS30 and the
early three pass Nikon Scanner.

The LS1000 required several visits to Melville NY at Nikon.  The last time
was around a month ago.  We do at least a dozen scans a day with this
machine so the idea of it needing servicing every 2 years or so is not all
that bad of a deal.  This scanner had problems in the transport and optical
areas as we had banding.  Since our most recent service it has performed
absolutely first class.  No doubt we have gone beyond the design spec of
this unit.  We seem to do this often around here.  We also have an Apple
Laser 360 printer that has gone beyond 25000 impressions.

The LS30 also has needed a visit to the Melville repair facility.  It just
up and died one day.  If you have one of these make sure you have the
lastest version of the software and firmware.  The latest versions will give
you more consistently good scans.  If you use a macintosh with either of
these, plan on having plenty of ram available as it is suggested by Nikon to
turn OFF the virtual memory.

What does bug me about Nikon's service is that they charge a flat $275 to
repair either one of these scanners.  It seems to consistent to make me sit
up and take notice.  On the good side Nikon returned the scanners very well
wrapped for shipping.  Other makers should take a few pointers from their
expertise in preparing delicate items for shipment.

Each time it runs around two to three weeks for a return, so if you do this
for a living, plan on having a spare scanner on hand.  Its sorta like having
a spare body on hand IMHO.

The plus points of these scanners are sharpness of scans, ease of use and
small footprint.

The minus points are negative carrier seems flimsy.  It doesn't like
bulletproof negatives. Normally exposed or slightly underexposed seem to
work the best.

gck