Subject: [Leica] Beware laser surgery, was 35mm frame lines & the .85 M6
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:50:55 -0800

"Lee, Ken" <ken.lee@hbc.com> on the LEG, writes:

> I am ashamed to admit (anywhere but here) that the main reason I had laser
> eye surgery was to allow me to see more of my Leica view finder.

Anyone considering laser surgery might want to think twice.  Yesterday I
read some material on the Olympus list about it (Olympus is my other
camera).  Evidently there is a pretty high rate of substantial loss of
night vision in laser surgery patients.  If I remember correctly, the
RCMP (Canadian Mounties) used to pay for the operation for Mounties who
needed it to pass the RCMP's stringent vision requirements. But they
have withdrawn this option because of the information about night vision
loss.  Other police departments and/or unions are warning their people
about these problems.

(as I said, I'm writing this from memory, so check further for the exact
facts)

No camera, not even a Leica, is worth impairing your vision for.  Guess
I'll just continue mashing my glasses to my face.  My boss has different
contacts in each eye--one for reading, one for distance.  He says the
brain adjusts and it works well.  Somehow, I've never been comfortable
with the idea of sticking something in my eye.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Beware laser surgery, was 35mm frame lines & the .85 M6)