Subject: [Leica] Re: Photo shop ?
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:07:33 -0500

MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else use Paint Shop Pro by JASC? I tried
> Photoshop 6.0 (borrowed from a friend to see if I
> actually wanted to buy it) and ended up unloading it
> to continuing using Paint Shop Pro 7.
>
> I'm only just beginning to explore the digital imaging
> world, but I find the JASC product to be far more
> intuitive to me. It seems to do just about anything
> that the Adobe product will do. It takes most of the
> same plug ins and is FAR less expensive.

My favorite image editor is Picture Window Pro. Version 3.0 is just out.
It's efficient, very stable and handles 95% of my needs. Written by a fellow
(Jonathan Sachs of Lotus 123 fame) who is himself a photo enthusiast...and
it shows in the product. For example, PWP has a comprehensive set of filters
that emulate those found in color enlargers and on the front of many lenses
while shooting B/W film. You can achieve much the same thing with the color
balance tools in other editors, but anyone familiar with traditional
filtration tools & techniques will feel right at home. It does lack an
equivalent to Photoshop's layers, but I'm a "get it right and get it done"
kinda guy so I don't much miss this. I do have Photoshop 5 as well, which I
use mainly to access a few favored plug-ins.

- -Dave-