Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanning, printing tips
From: "Craig Semetko" <csemetko@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:06:46 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGers,

I am brand new to the scanning game and am seeking any tried and true tips.
I have a N**** LS-2000, an Epson 1270, PhotoShop LE, and the book "Real
World Scanning and Half Tones." The book is helpful, but I need to get some
decent prints out by Christmas (they're for relatives; they don't have to be
"perfect" but I'd like to convince the family that all this money going into
Leicas is for a reason) and I'm hoping to avoid a lot of trial and error.
Some specific questions:

1) Are there any "standard" ppi/resolution settings people use in the N****
scanning software?
For instance, what is the best resolution to scan at? Should one choose the
setting for "Multiscanning?" and if so, 1x, 4x, or 16x? Does one need to
utilize the "Clean Image" process?, etc.

2) Without a tutorial on Photoshop, what are the basic settings for
printing? I am not asking about adjusting the image, just "standard"
settings to get me by initially. Is there a marked dropoff in quality from
1440 to 770 dpi? Is there a setting to save ink without to much degradation
of the image?

3) Is there a way to align the paper exactly, so there is no disparity in
the white border surrounding the image?
I have had fairly good success with the images themselves, but usually a
warning window comes up telling me the image is too big for the paper and it
adjusts itself somehow and the image ends up not being perfectly centered.
When I set the width in Photoshop to 11'', the length never comes out to
81/2." It's always seven something. Is this normal?

I've been a member of the LUG for about 9 months and this is my first foray
into getting some help. Operating an M6 is one thing, this scanning and
printing stuff is another skill set altogether.

Thanks in advance for any tips and Happy Holidays,

Craig Semetko

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Re: Scanning, printing tips)