Subject: Re: [Leica] New M2 Owner Questions
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:33:35 -0500

Jason Carroll jotted down the following:

> * 35mm Lens Options -- Used or Voightlannder?
> I am thinking of starting with a 35mm lens for awhile, and a new Leica lens
> is not in my budget. Should I look for a used one on Ebay or get a new
> Voightlander with a adapter mount? If I get a used one, which should I look
> for or avoid?

I'd get a secondhand 35mm f/2.8 Summaron in M mount if you want something
cheap.  If you need the extra stop, go for an early, six-element 35mm f/2
Summicron (way before the ASPH).  You should be looking at around $450-$600
for a clean user.  Wonderful Leica pictorial characteristics, sharp lenses,
truly gorgeous bokeh.

> * Meters
> I am looking at getting a small incident meter (maybe with a reflected
> option). My goals would be small, accurate, and inexpensive.

Sekonic Flashmate L-308B, can be found for under $250 at B&H Photo Video at
the moment (they're on sale).  Does incident, reflected, and flash.  Or pick
up a Voigtländer meter to put in the accessory shoe of the M2 for, I
believe, under $200 new.

> * General Tips
> Since this is my first time, I could use any help. Especially about how will
> I load film into this thing? Any care guidelines? Straps or small bag
> recommendations?

Forget the ERC.  Get a replacement Leica M6 strap.  You'll have an evening's
fun trying to figure out how to put it on the strap lugs without twisting
the strap, but once you're done, I don't think there is any more secure way
of carrying an M camera.

Filmloading isn't difficult.  You remove the baseplace, remove the take-up
spool, thread the tongue of the film into the take-up spool's slot, place
the film cartridge and take-up spool back into the camera while ensuring
that the sprockets by the take-up spool engage the sprocket holes in the
film, replace the baseplate, wind on a couple of frames while making sure
that the two dots on the rewind know are turning.  Then reset thefilm
counter under the advance lever to frame 1.

If you're completely new to Ms, a good book is Jonathan Eastland's "Leica M
compendium".  Try Craig Camera (http://www.craigcamera.com) for literature,
reprinted manuals, and repair manuals.

Good luck, have fun!

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the stores or sites mentioned,
other than being a satisfied customer.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |     It's all about 'interface'
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |