Subject: Re: [Leica] New M2 Owner Questions
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:09:18 -0500

> Well, after much research and hand-wringing, it appears that I just
> purchased a Leica M2 (SN 930632) from Ebay. As a first time Leica owner, I
> need help with a few questions....

Good choice. I have three M2's and love them.

> * 35mm Lens Options -- Used or Voightlannder?
> I am thinking of starting with a 35mm lens for awhile, and a new Leica lens
> is not in my budget. Should I look for a used one on Ebay or get a new
> Voightlander with a adapter mount? If I get a used one, which should I look
> for or avoid?

Since you are on a budget I would look for a used Voightlander although
there probably will not be much of a saving over a new one.

> * Meters
> I am looking at getting a small incident meter (maybe with a reflected
> option). My goals would be small, accurate, and inexpensive.

I have been using for several years the Sekonic L-308B. Smaller than a pack
of cigarettes, accurate and the battery lasts forever. Incident and
reflective.

> * General Tips
> Since this is my first time, I could use any help. Especially about how will
> I load film into this thing? Any care guidelines? Straps or small bag
> recommendations?

It may seem difficult at first but after six rolls or so you will be able to
load it with your eyes closed. To load; turn the camera upside down with the
lens away from you. With baseplate off, take out the take-up spool, open the
back door. Take your fresh roll of film and pull an inch or so of film out
of the cassette (you can see how much by placing the cassette next to its
chamber and see how much is needed to reach the take up chamber). Insert the
end of the film onto the catch on the take-up spool, make sure it is in
tight and also make sure that the film is in a straight line from the new
cassette and the take-up spool. Insert film and take-up into chambers, then
tap the ends with your finger tips until they drop fully into place. Make
sure that the kink in the film is not getting hung up. The film is in place
when you can see a straight chrome line under the film. Put one finger
gently on the film where it sits on the take-up spool and slowly advance the
lever. Making sure that the teeth are starting to grip the film. Advance it
one more time then put the back door on. Pull the rewind knob out and rewind
it until you feel it starting to resist. Advance two more times making sure
that the rewind knob is turning. Thats it.

This takes longer to type than it takes to unload and load a new roll.

> Thanks for any help!
>
> /Jason Carroll
> Portland, OR

Steve