Subject: [Leica] Art?
From: imx <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:55:05 +0100

I am surprised about the many negative comments about the list of art
auctions. The noted art historian and critic, Edward Lucie-Smith, wrote in
his "Visual arts of the 20th Century", 1996, about Gilbert & George,
Mapplethorpe, Cindy Sherman and Andres Serrano as the few photographers
(artists) he would recognize as representative of late-20th photography,

We may not like the direction that current photographic art is pointing at.
But it would be a bit strange if we would ignore what the art world at large
is appreciating, even if it does not suit our personal taste.
I am personally very impressed by Maplethorpe, but feel unqualified to
remark on his stature or rank.

The world beyond the Lug-limits, has its own momentum and dynamics and I
presume that we all could enrich our thoughts and views if we were to see
beyond encrusted habits.

But we can always question the authority of Lucie-Smith (wwhat does he know
about photography?) -:)

Van Gogh was ridiculed in his life as an insignificant idiot, who tried to
emulate true painters, who knew best.

Erwin